A Dutch Fluyt in shell first, reconstructing the "Ghost ship" scale 1:36

It might be a bit early to say, but this planks curvature has a much more natural flow than your earlier attempt. How does this compare to the "Ghost Ship"?
This part of the Ghostship is sunken in the sea bed so we won't know before she is raised from the bottom. But now it is close to the lines of ralamb fluyt.
Planking bow.jpg

After the PS bilge plank now also the first SB bilge plank is fitted.
First the PS shape was copied to the SB side.
20240501_200413.jpg

And shaped accordingly.
20240501_204152.jpg

The plank was also copied from the PS side and bended by heat plate and soldering soldering iron.
20240512_121224.jpg

The shape of the bilge I checked with a template to have the same curvature on ps and sb side.
20240512_115820.jpg

The new bow is finally taking shape.
20240513_194324.jpg
20240513_194402.jpg

Towards the stern also first some demolition works to start with the rebuild. Now the stern planks are removed the floor can be easily reshaped.
20240513_195051.jpg

View attachment 447044

And shaped accordingly.
View attachment 447045

The plank was also copied from the PS side and bended by heat plate and soldering soldering iron.
View attachment 447047

The shape of the bilge I checked with a template to have the same curvature on ps and sb side.
View attachment 447046

View attachment 447048
View attachment 447049

Towards the stern also first some demolition works to start with the rebuild. Now the stern planks are removed the floor can be easily reshaped.
View attachment 447050
A very nice outcome of the re-do, Maarten.
Regards, Peter

Your bow looks real good, the redo has paid off. Time to fill her up, after the stern section is complete, with floor timber.
Hi gents, Thx for your comments.

Yes now the previous shipwright (didn't know him personally :cool: ) has been fired due to his lousy work our new shipwright can make a fresh start.

Indeed first the stern needs to be finished following by 2 or three rows of bilge planks.
Then filling up with floors "leggers en zitters" followed by setting the scheerstrook to start with the "oplangen" futtocks.

Last edited:
Hi gents, Thx for your comments.

Yes now the previous shipwright (didn't know him personally :cool: ) has been fired due to his lousy work our new shipwright can make a fresh start.

Indeed first the stern needs to be finished followiong by 2 or three rows of bilge planks.
Then filling up with floors "leggers en zitters" followed by setting the scheerstrook to start with the "oplangen" futtocks.
In my build the bilge is almost ready, the zitter are next. That is again a lot of work.

View attachment 447044

And shaped accordingly.
View attachment 447045

View attachment 447047

View attachment 447046

View attachment 447048
View attachment 447049

View attachment 447050

The flow of the planks at the bow seems to be more "natural" than they were, other than that I'm in no position to comment on your work, or that of the shipwright who was fired. By the way, was/is this guy family?

Back