Airbrush for ship interiors?

Hello, thinking about my soleil royal, I'm wondering if I can't use airbrush to paint the decks/hull interiors, I think some colors are easier to apply that way than with brush (white per example, I think on my other ocean liner build, I'm going to use airbrush for the hull too).

Thanks for your answers!

i love my badgers n posh air brush for painting models n parts. i just hate my noisey compressor. i was looking for one of those quiet models but they are expensive. someone i know made a quiet compressor from a small refrigerator compressor... so ive been watching bulk night in my area but havent seen any small ACs or fridges yet. you can see how they are made on you tubes.

The airbrush can be used for several different purposes, from a smooth to rough surface, from a flat to gloss finish, from an oil to acrylic paints ..... the list goes on! If it works for you, use it.

I airbrush almost everything, I just use it like a scaled down spray gun. I find I get a finer, thinner finish than brushing. I hate doing anything with white though, it's so hard to get opacity.

i love my badgers n posh air brush for painting models n parts. i just hate my noisey compressor. i was looking for one of those quiet models but they are expensive. someone i know made a quiet compressor from a small refrigerator compressor... so ive been watching bulk night in my area but havent seen any small ACs or fridges yet. you can see how they are made on you tubes.
There are quiet compressors available especially for air brushes. I have one that runs very quiet, which I bought during my railroad modelling years. My compressor does have an air tank.

Last edited:
Here's an example of airbrushing bulwarks, tougher to do using and artist brush. I use a shellack sealer, no primer. Airbrush of choice is a Badger 150- and 3-gal 1/3hp, 110psi pancake compressor (Harbor freight). A little loud on startup but airflow is more consistent than the tankless hobby compressors. If compressor noise is an issue, the small hobby type works well on small projects.

1000001321.jpg

20240323_093202.jpg

20240323_093225.jpg

Hello, thinking about my soleil royal, I'm wondering if I can't use airbrush to paint the decks/hull interiors, I think some colors are easier to apply that way than with brush (white per example, I think on my other ocean liner build, I'm going to use airbrush for the hull too).

Thanks for your answers!
Just my opinion as an old sign painter & airbrush artist. I don't see the time & effort in using an airbrush for ship models worth it, especially if you're not experienced with it's use. You need a proper mix of paint & thinner, control the flow properly, mask all around, prevent overspray from surrounding areas, take the brush and cup apart to thoroughly clean them. Much faster & easier for me to just use the paint brush. (Exceptions are when you need a smooth gloss finish, such as model cars.) Examples of when it's worth it and really not for me (Victory).

thumbnail_000_0282.jpg

DSCN0839.JPG

Last edited:
Try Amazon.

As others have said, airbrushes are good if you can deal with the prep, setup and cleanup time.

Primer in rattle can may cost a bit more, but easier to use and very little clean up time afterwards.

As others have said, airbrushes are good if you can deal with the prep, setup and cleanup time.

Primer in rattle can may cost a bit more, but easier to use and very little clean up time afterwards.
Agree, for example, I hand painted the yellow ochre stripes, masked them, then sprayed black with a can. Simple & easy.

Back