Airfix Sovereign of the Seas 1:168

BTW here are some of the other models I made and some to make:

View attachment 358031

Revell HMS Victory 1/225. Still have some rigging and the sails to do on this one:
View attachment 358032

Revell USS Constitution 1/196. Planning to add some extra sails in cloth:
View attachment 358033

San Salvador galleon 1/100 (free paper model):
View attachment 358034

And some models to do:
Lee Graf Spee 1/400 (and have a piece of the actual ship's telemeter to put on the base). This one is started but missing a few parts.
Minicraft Cutty Sark 1/180
At the bottom there is a zvezda 1/144 Boeing 747-8
View attachment 358035
Wow! You did great on those very small-scale ships! I am impressed!

Bill

Hi, I'm Juan from Uruguay. I'm 37 and I've been getting back to making plastic models. I haven't done this since my early teenage years although I have Made many paper models.

It's hard making time for it in between playing guitar, surfing, training everyday and rock climbing but every chance I get I take advantage of it.

Last year I finally started a 1/196 Revell USS Constitution after years in the shelf. After that came 1/225 Revell's HMS Victor and now finally the Sovereign of the Seas. I've always been drawn to this model.

Started painting parts about 2 months ago, then lots of surfing kept me in the water lol. Now Will be slowly getting back to it.
Here are some pics of the process:

View attachment 358029

View attachment 358030
I'd like to add details such as the side port and ladder which is missing from the model. I was going to make wood planking details but I couldn't get it right and ended up pretty happy with the painting overall.

Cheers,

Juan
The only thing that bothers me about this kit is that there is great detail and care for with the gilding yet there is equally no planking detail. Please understand that I am blaming the manufacturer not the builder. Great job so far!

Bill

Last edited:
Well a little update. Took some time off for vacations and travel and afterwards I haven't really had the time to sit down and attack the rigging, which is pretty intricate for this model.

I've also been acquiring some new models like a Revell 1/96 Cutty Sark (damn it's freaking huge), and waiting for the arrival of a Revell Titanic (1/570), Airfix's Wasa and a 1/72 P-51 Mustang from Airfix. So I'm back on it!

Started doing the rigging and improvising blocks with ice cream sticks. So far it's looking cool. Ratlines with superglue are always a pain in the arse.

Will update soon!

View attachment 393348

View attachment 393349

View attachment 393350

View attachment 393351

View attachment 393352

View attachment 393353
Just a hint; superglue blobs can be taken care of with a little dab of girl's finger-nail remover. It works.

Bill

Back