BALDER, Vlaardingen Herring Lugger from 1912, scratch build scale 1:50 Plate-On-Frame

Good morning Peter. If I could pull something like your work off, I would party for a week. Brilliant modelling Peter. Cheers Grant
Thanks Grant. I will sure to that: Next week I am off with the motorcycle for 9 days touring in France. Then for sure I am looking several times to the build so far.
Regards, Peter

Thanks Grant. I will sure to that: Next week I am off with the motorcycle for 9 days touring in France. Then for sure I am looking several times to the build so far.
Regards, Peter
I am envious Peter. I aggravated an old back vertebrae fracture recently and I am off my bike for a while....... nothing like a bike adventure - enjoy. Have fun. Cheers Grant

I am envious Peter. I aggravated an old back vertebrae fracture recently and I am off my bike for a while....... nothing like a bike adventure - enjoy. Have fun. Cheers Grant
I can empathize with your situation, Grant. In 2006 I broke 3 lumbar vertebrae. But still (nok-nok on wood ……;) ) can do everything.
Regards, Peter

Started with the frame for the lantern. The old drawing shows that it is on a deck plate:
0238 Dekplaat+Lantaarn.jpg
The dimensions are shown: 4900 x 1140 x 6. In scale this becomes 98 x 22.8 x 0.12 mm. That's why I bought the Evergeen 0.13 mm plate.

The frame made of the lantern:
0239 FrameLantaarn.jpg
Made divisible into 2 halves. I will make the lantern in its entirety later. This can then be placed over the frame when both halves are against each other. Just like the hatch of the forepeak.

A print made from part of the drawing and cut the plate size out:
0240 DekplaatLantaarn.jpg
Cut out all the recess so that it can serve as a mold.
0241 DekplaatLantaarn.jpg
A test installation around the mast tube and kossing:
0242 DekplaatLantaarn.jpg
The cover plate should actually also be located under the profile on the side of the mast tube and kossing. That the profile is riveted to the plate. But then I would have had to follow a completely different order of construction. Now I put the plate against it.

After the necessary fitting, measuring and cutting to size, the two plate halves were placed on the deck beams and the 2 frame halves were placed on top of them:
0243 DekplaatLantaarn.jpg
Then cut away the pieces of center profile to the size of the opening.
An extra piece of profile was added lengthwise on both sides of the opening between both deck beams:
0245 Balkje.jpg
The piece is highlighted in blue for clarity.

This is what the lantern looks like on the Balder from the inside:
0244 Kombuis.jpg
Left: The view to the galley, seen from the forecastle, standing next to the stairs. The arrow points to the lantern.
In the middle: The lantern stands on the deck plate and is otherwise unfinished.
Right: This is in contrast to the light in the forecastle. This has been completed on the current Balder. But the old specifications state that only the deck beams were finished and the metal of the deck plates was looked at. I think I'll stick with the latter.

The now installed deck plate provides extra strength to the construction, especially to the deck beams themselves.
I'm going to adjust my plan slightly and now first install the rest of the deck plates and stringers on the foredeck. That gives extra strength in the areas where the frames for the entrance and lights will be placed and where I also have to remove pieces of the center profile.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
The deck and stringer plates. I had posted this drawing before:
0108 Bovenzicht.jpg
Highlighted are all the plates applied to the deck beams.
This is also clearly visible in this photo of the Vlaardingen restoration at the Bocxe shipyard:
0246 Stingers.jpg
(Source: SZB Restoration Book, page 23)
The photo was taken from front to back. In the foreground the light with just behind it the lantern on the cover plate that also surrounds the mast tube and kossing.
In addition, 2x2 stringer plates run along the length of the ship on which the schaarstokken' will lie. These are the oak beams within which the 'shutters are located. These hatches provide access to the fish holds.

The stringer plates and 2 diagonal plates for the bollards were installed on the foredeck:
0247 Stingers.jpg
The closing gusset (?) plate was installed on the forepeak on the port side and a profile in which the deck planks would later be enclosed.
The drawing does not indicate how long the stringers are. No idea what lengths they could make back then. The longest of the side stringers is 4.7 meters and the cover plate around the mast tube and kossing is 4.9 meters. I assume a maximum of 6 meters. I then shorten it so that mutual connections are placed around a deck beam. The longest is now 5.5 meters.

From a different position:
0248 Stingers.jpg
Once all parts have been placed on the deck, apply some heat to straighten a few more deck beams so that the slight unevenness of the stringer is gone.
Then I can now make the frames for the other 4 shutters.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Back