Chaperon 1884 Stern Wheeler

Just Google "Model Ship Turnbuckles" - lots of options! Happy spending ROTF.
Hi Paul, I've done quite a bit of "Googling" for the turnbuckles. I found many versions, but not any in the size I need. I've also tried a few of the Hobby stores. Lot's of stuff available but the scales are iffy. I think a DIY solution is the answer.

Jan

Perhaps some small pieces of tube and on both side a eye pin? Perhaps you have some spare of them from your BN?
In the middle of the tube you can file on 2 sides a tiny hole.
Regards, Peter
Yup that's the plan, I've been rooting around in my "left over stuff" box. I have a few stanchions and some hollow tubing, I'm going fiddle with those to see if I can manufacture what I need.

Jan

Yup that's the plan, I've been rooting around in my "left over stuff" box. I have a few stanchions and some hollow tubing, I'm going fiddle with those to see if I can manufacture what I need.

Jan
Good morning Jan. Just the way I like it. It is always fun working out a scratch solution. My issue is always trying to get the scale right as the tendency is for these parts to come out too big. have fun. Cheers Grant

Good morning Jan. Just the way I like it. It is always fun working out a scratch solution. My issue is always trying to get the scale right as the tendency is for these parts to come out too big. have fun. Cheers Grant
Hi Grant,

I have some 2mm brass round tube and 1mm brass rods in the “left over stuff” box. Hopefully I can cobble together some turnbuckles with those. We shall see.

Jan

I quoted before, also in other build-logs: It’s all in the details! Especially the scrats builded. They also give the most satisfaction.
Regards, Peter.
Yup, I like the little details. Five - six years ago when I first started this great hobby I would have stuck to the build instructions 100%. Your builds have been an inspiration, especially your BN. Al-Fi is now a permanent resident in my little boatyard.

Jan

Back