HMS Victory 1:78 by Mantua ,Panart - Build log

Now, having finally managed to complete the sanding and grouting of the hull, I began to drill the holes for the gun ports in the first planking

IMG_20240425_091254160.jpg

IMG_20240425_095123803.jpg

As you can see from the photos, I had no difficulty marking the holes with the template provided in the package.
Naturally I had the foresight to mark the points of intersection with the bulkhead in advance, in order to ensure that there was no significant interference.
After thinking about it for a long time, I decided to drill the holes in the first planking, before gluing the second one.
By doing so I think I can more easily obtain precise holes in which to install the port frames. We'll see.

Now, having finally managed to complete the sanding and grouting of the hull, I began to drill the holes for the gun ports in the first planking

View attachment 443668

View attachment 443669

As you can see from the photos, I had no difficulty marking the holes with the template provided in the package.
Naturally I had the foresight to mark the points of intersection with the bulkhead in advance, in order to ensure that there was no significant interference.
After thinking about it for a long time, I decided to drill the holes in the first planking, before gluing the second one.
By doing so I think I can more easily obtain precise holes in which to install the port frames. We'll see.
Good evening Ismaele. Looking very good indeed. Yep the template works if lined up correctly. I remember a tiny shaving of one or two of the bulkheads up front. Your gratings, belay pin racks/knightheads etc also look great. It is a fun build enjoy. Cheers Grant

I completed laying the second planking on the hull and finishing the gun ports.

IMG_20240517_110605485.jpg

IMG_20240517_110636107.jpg

I have an observation that I hope will help those who try their hand at this model: the quality of the strips of the first planking (hard balsa) is quite poor and if on the one hand it allows the strips to be worked more easily, on the other hand it provides a base not too solid for laying the second planking, also given the presence of numerous holes for the cannons.
This must have been taken into account by the manufacturer, who supplies strips with a thickness of 1 mm. for the second plating. In this way, however, the strips of the second plating are less workable than the usual 0.5 mm walnut strips.
In other words, I am not completely satisfied with the final outcome, unlike the models I created previously and which were by Occre, Artesania Latina and Amati.
Fortunately, part of the hull must be covered in copper and the remaining part must all be painted in two colors and therefore the small defects that I was unable to avoid in the end should not be seen.
But I advise everyone to pay close attention especially to the installation of the first planking, in order to obtain the most solid base possible.
As you can see I masked the waterline and now I intend to give a coat of fixative paint and then to paint a strip of black to use as a line below which to begin gluing the copper plates.
I've already seen in the forum that this is going to be a hard job...

Nice build! Are the boats from the kit? The reason I ask is that all the boats appear to be double banked. I think some were single banked. The launch was likely over 32 feet long and double banked. That being the case she would have about 8 or nine thwarts rather than 2. The pinnace would have been in the neighborhood of 28 feet with 7 or 8 thwarts for rowers and single banked. The cutters were almost all single banked. There are high resolution drawings of many boats in the WikiCommons site.
An example of a 34 foot double banked launch and 28 foot 8 oared single banked pinnace follow. Note that for the pinnace the tholes shown are only for the starboard side. The ones for the port side alternate for every other thwart.
Allan
34 foot ZAZ7356 (1787) from Royal George.jpg28_ft_Pinnace_1798 RMG_J0858.png

The boats are included in the kit.
I am Italian, so I have a bit of trouble following your complex technical descriptions.
However, kit instructions are very poor in general and in particular for the construction of the four boats. I did the best I could, inventing oars that are not included in the instructions, but which I made inspired by previous built models, especially a New Bedford whaleboat.
Honestly, I didn't bother to evaluate whether individual boats had one or two rowers per bench.
Finally, the measurements you report for the launch are reproduced substantially correctly, the model being approximately 13 cm long. (5.2 in.), on a 1:78 scale.
I hope I have been clear enough, thank you for your appreciation!

Back