Le Rochefort build log by OlivierF

Thank you Tobias for your kind support.
Do you have any thoughts on when to mount the wing transom and filling pieces. In my previous attempt I waited until the frames were installed but now wonder if the transom pieces actually help keep the keel plumb and level.
To keep the keel plumb, I can only recommend attaching the keel to a board and installing it in the mold. I also installed the transom wood later this time, at the very beginning of La Palme, and it made no difference.

Thanks Dave.
“Creeping thousandth” is real even in construction. We always maintained that when you do your layout, you start your measuring at point A and measure to point B, C, D, etc. Do not measure from A to B and then from B to C then C to D. If you measure using the latter method the creep factor becomes exponential and what a mess that creates!
Cumulative error - always a concern, especially when first drawing up your plans.......

To keep the keel plumb, I can only recommend attaching the keel to a board and installing it in the mold. I also installed the transom wood later this time, at the very beginning of La Palme, and it made no difference.
Thanks. Yes, I have the “dry dock” mold ready with a keel clamp and will also insert some M3 barrel nuts in the keel so I can screw the keel flat to the building board.

Cumulative error - always a concern, especially when first drawing up your plans.......
I remember having to complete a survey of a multi-hundred acre property where the only existing survey was completed circa 1850. Due to the size of the parcel and the scale of the plat map we determined that the boundary line scaled to about 50 feet in width. Talk about cumulative errors! :eek::oops::D

Progress is good Oliver. I haven't touched my model in over a year now. The complexity is daunting to say the least. Keep going. There's a point at which we just have to say that's as good as it'll be and move on to the next steps.

Progress is good Oliver. I haven't touched my model in over a year now. The complexity is daunting to say the least. Keep going. There's a point at which we just have to say that's as good as it'll be and move on to the next steps.
Thanks Tony. I liken the build process to the old analogy, “How do you eat an elephant?… One bite at a time.” Well, I’m taking very small bites! ;)

Wow Oliver ! I might have missed a few pages till now. You’re starting over ?!!! That takes guts. I’m almost at that point too maybe that’s why I haven’t touched my ship in over a year. I decided to save time (first mistake) in the beginning by deciding on the Hahn method for making the frames. They’re ok but what bothers me is the joints are not in the correct places because each futtock isn’t cut and fit separately with that method and neither are the nails. I know it’s trivial but I know it to be not 100% correct. If I was going to plank the hull it would be ok but bare framed it bothers me. We’ll see, maybe I’ll plank it. My frames are usable no doubt so I’ll check it all again closely and see. I’m hoping to set my bench back up for ship work next week. Seeing you starting again made me really think.

Wow Oliver ! I might have missed a few pages till now. You’re starting over ?!!! That takes guts. I’m almost at that point too maybe that’s why I haven’t touched my ship in over a year. I decided to save time (first mistake) in the beginning by deciding on the Hahn method for making the frames. They’re ok but what bothers me is the joints are not in the correct places because each futtock isn’t cut and fit separately with that method and neither are the nails. I know it’s trivial but I know it to be not 100% correct. If I was going to plank the hull it would be ok but bare framed it bothers me. We’ll see, maybe I’ll plank it. My frames are usable no doubt so I’ll check it all again closely and see. I’m hoping to set my bench back up for ship work next week. Seeing you starting again made me really think.
Hi Tony, Yes I started over. If you read through my log you saw I was not happy with the “foundation” of the model. The individual parts seemed OK but once I started assembly it became apparent that things were off. The spacing between the frames range from 2mm to near 4mm. They really need to be a consistent 3mm for the planking (inside) to look right. Also I was not careful enough in faring the frames especially on the inner tapers. Anyway the more I worked on getting things “blumb, level and square” the more I was frustrated. Couple that with what @John Hendrix called the “stone in the shoe” effect I decided to treat the first attempt as practice.
I wish you the best whatever decision you make just don’t give up!

Back