Model ship costs ...

On the contrary, kits are great for all beginners
Totally agree there are a few that are great quality and yield realistic models that help the beginners and those with some experience learn good skills. Unfortunately this is not the case with all kit makers' products.

Based on what at least two of the manufacturers have done in the past few years I see no reason why the others cannot improve on these few basic items.
Actually, more than two of the manufacturers have revised their kits to make them more historically correct. But to answer your question about why others cannot, it is - the cost! The kit manufacturers always balance between revenues and affordability.

Totally agree there are a few that are great quality and yield realistic models that help the beginners and those with some experience learn good skills. Unfortunately this is not the case with all kit makers' products.
...you keep saying there are a few ones. Luckily, today we have more than a few, and those kits are targeting not just experienced modelers, but beginners at affordable prices.

let's not forget the purpose of making models. Everyone has a different purpose: for one, authentic models are not required they will be happy to present the model as is. Those who required the model to be as authentic as possible most likely will not use the kit, IMHO

Great post by one of our members, Kurt

Everyone is welcome to their opinion !! In my opinion the choice of whether to build from a kit or from scratch is entirely up to the individual and what gives them pleasure and enjoyment from their hobby and I see that being based upon experience, ability and availability of appropriate tools and skills. Your statement "be modellers and not assemblers" is a condescending statement to many on this Forum who get hours of pleasure building from a kit.
Building from a kit is not necessarily "parts affixing". I began building plastic model kits when I was 6 (1960). To be truthful, I was doing nothing but affixing parts. But my skills improved over the years. My father gave me my first wooden kit at 15, the old Scientific kit of the Sovereign of the Seas. I thoroughly enjoyed it and began building wooden ship model kits soon thereafter. It wasn't too long later that I began scratch building parts.

My point is that each of us models for reasons our own. Today, I will model in plastic and/or wood. I love it!

Bill

I have to give a huge "shout Out" to an outstanding scratch builder among us. He goes by the moniker "Cri-Cri". His builds are simply exquisite, especially his latest Saint Phillipe, which he built without a kit. It just shows how much can be achieved should we attain a certain set of skills.

Bill

Back