Le Rochefort build log by OlivierF

Yes a 12” planer may do but they can’t really do the small sizes we deal with.
Actually, I use my DeWalt 12” and can effectively plane to about 3mm. I got a 4’ x 12” piece of 3/4” laminated MDF (actually it’s a shelf from a closet store) and use it as a “floor” in the planer. I do take very thin passes and usually run the board through 4 times. Once at a slight angle to right, again with a slight left angle, flip end to end and do it again. A bit time consuming but I do manage to get smooth and parallel boards. I can get a little snipe as you can see in the photo of my frame layouts above.

Last edited:
Actually, I use my DeWalt 12” and can effectively plan to about 3mm. I got a 4’ x 12” piece of 3/4” laminated MDF (actually it’s a shelf from a closet store) and use it as a “floor” in the planer. I do take very thin passes and usually run the board through 4 times. Once at a slight angle to right, again with a slight left angle, flip end to end and do it again. A bit time consuming but I do manage to get smooth and parallel boards. I can get a little snipe as you can see in the photo of my frame layouts above.
Ok good to know. I’ll look into a 12” machine.

Bandsaw tire replacement is complete and new tension spring is installed. So, I’m back in business and cutting out frame pieces.
Frames 1 - 16 are “in the bag”
IMG_8447.jpeg

And this is the pile of scrap…
IMG_8448.jpeg
Maybe I can sell this to IKEA for a ship kit? What do you think? 1716409378545.png

No frames were salvageable in your eyes ? What exactly was the problem that you’re starting all over again. I’m doing a lot of thinking on mine right now too.

No frames were salvageable in your eyes ? What exactly was the problem that you’re starting all over again. I’m doing a lot of thinking on mine right now too.
I really haven’t explored that idea as the original frames are cherry and I switched to Swiss Pear for the new model. On the original I wasn’t meticulous enough laying out the keel assembly and cutting all the slots for the frames. Also, I didn’t fare the frames well enough prior to mounting them in the keel. My thought, at the time, was to do the final faring once the hull was complete. As I mentioned earlier, due to all these cumulative inconsistencies nothing lines up “square, level and plumb”. Overall, I think I could have completed it as a closed hull model but what’s the point of doing all the work only to hide it behind planking. I really don’t mind that I started over. I learned a boatload (nice pun, huh?) in my original attempt and as they say, “practice makes perfect.” I’m sure whatever decision you make will be the right one for you.

Back