Model Shipways = Junk

Good afternoon.
You can visit us at:
Model Shipways Inc. dba Model Expo
1155 NW 159th Drive, Miami Gardens, Florida 33169
thats a bit of a hike.

im confused... the address is (dba?) aka model expo?

so i guess model shipways isnt in NJ anymore and not model shipways anymore?... model expo is model shipways?... or just a distributor for model shipways? does model shipways make their own products or model expo making it?

will the real model shipways please raise your hand?

I understand your anger, but I'd reach out to them with your complaints. I've never dealt with a situation like you are dealing with, but the times I have had issues, their customer service has always been great.
I have to agree that Model Expo has always been responsive and will rectify any problems that are brought to their attention. I wish that other manufacturers were as customer friendly!

Bill

thats a bit of a hike.

so i guess model shipways isnt in NJ anymore and not model shipways anymore?... model expo is model shipways?... or just a distributor for model shipways? does model shipways make their own products or model expo making it?

Model Expo is one of the most important producers and dealers of wood model kits. There are only two real American competitors in the wood sailing ship genre: Model Shipways (which is owned by Model Expo) and Bluejacket. I'm a big fan of Bluejacket, but some of the Model Shipways kits - especially the newer ones - are excellent too. I'd hate to see either of those companies go under. .... TEXT COPIED FROM....

Anybody know the story on Model Expo?​

thats a bit of a hike.

dba means "doing business as".
Marc Mosko purchased Model Expo in the late 70s. Then the operation grew and we begun manufacturing other lines, such as planes (Model Airways), Western Carriages (Model Trailways) and Civil War Artillery (Guns of History). Everything is manufactured here in Miami.

Model Expo is the name we chose to use to sell all the products we manufacture plus products from other manufacturers, to offer a wider range of hobby items. You can contact me at rick@modelexpo-online.com

Disturbing posts. Naysayers abound in any community. Let me try to balance the conversation. My name is Marc Mosko, owner of Model Shipways dba Model Expo. In 1988 I acquired Model Shipways from John Shedd and Sam Malone and moved their manufacturing facility from Bogota, N.J. to Mt. Pocono, PA. In 1997 we moved from PA. to Florida where we are today at 1155 NW 159th Drive, Miami Gardens, FL.

In 1988 I was concerned about the declining sales of Model Shipways under original management so I engaged Jim Roberts and Ben Lankford to assist me in improving kit quality and converting solid hull model kits to plank-on-bulkhead, which the market dictated was the preferred method of construction.

We were the first in our industry in the U.S. to acquire laser cutting machines, which improved the fit and quality of wood parts. Today, we operate 12 high powered laser machines.

Then we threw out all of the lead castings and moved to Britannia Metal (pewter) thus avoiding the risk of cancer for our customers and employees. Note that Pewter costs 6 times as much as lead. European kits use Zamac, which is Zinc based and nearly impossible to file or shape. We will not use Zamac even though the cost is 1/4th of Pewter.

We then looked closely at fittings and found that many were crude and often times unusable, example: belaying pins cast in metal. We chose to re-design and have them made in machined brass in scale .... we did not have to go to Europe to include the clunky out of scale belaying pins now found in European kits. Yes, they cost more ... much more. Model Shipways used to cast their own blocks; then they invented a small machine to make their own wood blocks. Quality was acceptable but production so limited there was no way to make enough without building more machines and hiring additional people. Cost was outrageous. We turned to the only manufacturer of blocks in Europe who makes cheap blocks that one has to round and work the grooves. They are included in our kits. However, we offer more costly alternative blocks than more than satisfy. They are called, "Beautiful Blocks". They cost extra. If included in our kits the average kit price would soar to over 50% more.

Wood ... we use basswood grown and milled in the USA. Plywood is aircraft quality spruce. We use walnut for some parts and we do not use MDF.

Rigging ... After years of pursuing sources for Irish linen, which seemed to be the best possible rigging line we gave up due to lack of dimensions and reliable supply sources. Contrary to many European kit manufacturers who offer but one or two diameters of bland colored rigging in their kit, Model Shipways includes up to four diameters and colors (brown for running and black for standing) in our kits. As important is the quality. Ours is not Chinese hemp but Made in Germany by Griffin ... threads used for fine pearl stringing. The advantages are 1) does not stretch even after years of being strung tightly and 2) knots easily. We have found no better rigging line at any price. We could easily save money but don't.

We understand that modelers improve with age and experience. Eventually, the best become scratch builders as their creative needs are satisfied and their final product better. I'm a business man who loves our hobby and wants to make it grow, I am investing in the future. We need more ship model builders and the best way to find them is to create them. For that reason over a million families saw our 2-page ad, ($30,000 cost) in Smithsonian Magazine - April-May edition, 2024 titled, "Discover the World's Oldest Hobby" offering a Lowell Banks Dory with tools, paint and glue for the beginner model builder. The same ad appears in Facebook and Instagram. Again, in the July-August Smithsonian magazine a similar ad will appear. We are selling hundreds of small boats with tools, paint and glue each month; all the while growing the community of ship model builders in the U.S.A. Find us on social media, printed magazines,

I could go on. However, in my office I have a collection of the old Model Shipways kits, many of which have been converted to present Model Shipways kits. I invite all to visit our factory, showroom and compare the new with the old with the European. We are open Mon-Thurs 8-6, Fri 8-12.

We welcome you.

P.S. I forgot to mention that we have increasing sales in Europe through more than 10 importing European distributors who sell to stores and web merchants from the UK to Poland and mostly in Italy and Germany. We might be doing something right. Also, for those of you who know and appreciate Midwest Products boat kits. Two years ago we signed a long term agreement with Midwest. We are now the manufacturers and distributors world-wide. Model Shipways in 1988 employed 3 people and kit production was less than one thousand per year. And in 1988 Model Shipways was being driven out of business by European kits. Today, Model Shipways produces over 1500 kits per month and is America's leading producer of wood model ship kits. Made in USA is a certification we are proud of.

ah that explains it all. ive always enjoyed model expo and recently got a video and photo tour of your ship collections... outstanding!

im a kid in the candy store when cruising your catalogs as well.

thanks for clearing it up for everyone.

I posted this in private conversation with a fellow SoS member, and I'm sharing it with all of you:

Who should be accountable? The seller (Model Expo) of course. The pictures of the parts for not represent the parts they sent. If Model Expo uses photos in their advertisement that are NOT from the actual product, it's simply product misrepresentation. If showed you a picture of a car, and then sold you a horse, I would be guilty of misrepresentation. I bought the grating parts based on the photo they presented. If Model Expo had actual photos of the Model Shipways parts, it would have been evident from the size of the notches that they were inferior and the purchase would have not have happened.

As for "not letting them get away with it", that was taken care of by posting the thread. All the circumstances and the names of those involved were described in message #1. And now, all of the forum members can see what happened and buy those parts or avoid buying those parts as they choose. The thread did not "naysay" or bear false witness against either Model Expo or Model Shipways, because the situation was described 100% accurately with photographic proof. Any damage to their reputations was justly earned.

I would be very interested in knowing who makes good variable size wooden gratings using these strips. I have some from two different sources, and to be honest, they both were not very good. They break easily and the slots are not always lining up. I saw a posting on this site where someone made gratings by hand using a Proxxon milling machine. I have not been able to locate it but if I do, I will try that user's method

I would be very interested in knowing who makes good variable size wooden gratings using these strips. I have some from two different sources, and to be honest, they both were not very good. They break easily and the slots are not always lining up. I saw a posting on this site where someone made gratings by hand using a Proxxon milling machine. I have not been able to locate it but if I do, I will try that user's method
The best gratings I have seen were made by Falkonet and sold by Crafty Sailor but they just went out of business a short time ago. They had thin, hardwood gratings which were cut to perfection in multiple hole sizes. There is good news, because Modelers Central has nice gratings in various sizes which are similar. Here is their link: Modelers Central Gratings

Here are pictures of the Falkonet gratings. I wish these were still available! The gratings were flexible enough to form to the curve of the camber.
1716770346191.png

1716769543865.png

Smaller sections of the gratings were stacked with the cross supports on the deck
1716769856286.png

Just on a side note, so I don't derail from the main topic, anyone who owns a mini tablesaw or a mill can make perfect gratings in no time. I understand it will require some skills, but ...if you own those tools, I assume you can operate them. We have several threads where members share their ways to make perfect gratings. I recall making one with a mill and tablesaw.

Just on a side note, so I don't derail from the main topic, anyone who owns a mini tablesaw or a mill can make perfect gratings in no time. I understand it will require some skills, but ...if you own those tools, I assume you can operate them. We have several threads where members share their ways to make perfect gratings. I recall making one with a mill and tablesaw.
you wouldn't happen to have the link to that? I have been searching for it for a few days and I can't locate that particular article

Back