Restoration & Upgrading of the HMS BOREAS (1774) - scale 1:48

I cannot speak for this particular ship, but one example is the Medway (60) 1742 as she was rigged in 1763. The cavel blocks were the belaying points for the fore and main topsail yard halliards and main top and middle staysail halliards. Cavel cleats were belaying points for the main topsail yard braces.
Allan
Cavels.JPG

Last edited:
En example of CAVEL blocks on the HMS PANDORA 1779 picture #235 (beautiful model in scale 1:32)
And yes, these bloks were designed for running rigging with larger rope diameters, such as Halliards and Sheets...
Screenshot 2024-05-20 at 6.59.21 PM.png

The Pandora model is gorgeous. One oddity is that there are no lodging knees for the deck beams, only hanging knees which is contradictory to the drawings of Pandora in the AOTS series book on her by Kay and Coleman and other ships' contemporary deck plans that show the ledges, carlings, and knees. Scantlings for lodging knees and hanging knees are given in both Steel's The Elements and Practice of Naval Architecture and The Shipbuilder's Repository. According to Peter Goodwin the lodging knees were used to "lodge" the beams longitudinally preventing movement fore and aft, especially in heavy seas. How would this movement be prevented if the beams were kneed as in the model in the above photo? Did McKay get it wrong and Pandora was different than other ships?
Allan

this model is an overall masterpiece to me, not perfect tough. Anyone observed the different eight of the two facilities' stern windows?
Ciao Alberto
I looked but cannot find what you are referring to when you say stern windows. I realize it is probably a translation issue, but there are no windows on these old ships. Are you speaking of the gallery lights and/or stern lights on the Boreas model? Not to be confused with lanterns, picture below.
Allan
Boreas lights.JPG

Back