Seizing Jig/Fixture

This is my latest creation of a fixture for clamping pulley blocks, deadeyes, & ropes. It started life as a holder for PCB's in my former railroad hobby. I made up the clamps from M5 threaded rod & screws & aluminium section, & added fine self-adhesive sand paper, for added grip. JB Weld & E6000 adhesives hold the clamp parts together, as there is only clamping pressure to deal with, no shear forces. The pins hold rope for making eyes.

IMG_5378.JPG

IMG_5379.JPG

IMG_5380.JPG

IMG_5381.JPG

IMG_5382.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. Can you show how it is being used?
OK, Yuri. Here are more photos showing clamping of; a block, a deadeye, & a rope ready to have an eyelet formed, this is ideal for a pair of shrouds, provided the mast is built up in sections as masting & rigging progresses upwards - much easier than doing in situ. Pulleys & clamps can be placed in the jaws either way.IMG_5392.JPGIMG_5391.JPGIMG_5387.JPGIMG_5386.JPGIMG_5385.JPGIMG_5393.JPG

Very nice ! however, I was thinking that the "loop" of wire was going to hold the Dead Eye with the Shroud to make the lanyard.

Hello all.
I really don't want to underestimate this idea which for many it coul'd be suitable but you might want to take a look also in the below link.
Many thanks

Hello all.
I really don't want to underestimate this idea which for many it coul'd be suitable but you might want to take a look also in the below link.
Many thanks
Hi, yes, I use this method at times, usually when the ropes are attached to the ship. But having carpal tunnel, it can be a bit 'fiddly' to hold it. It was your post that I followed to buy & make the tools.
Stuart

Hello all.
How can one disagree? Of course, I understand that everyone has their own opinion, but still? I respect people who have their own thoughts in their heads. There’s simply no adding or subtracting here. Keep up the good work as they say. This is already normal, wow. I can't even imagine this. I'm just getting goosebumps right now. I also sometimes use this but not as often as I would like. Everything has its own rules. In general, I like your opinion. That's how it should be!
Many thanks
good method!!!

Cool contraption Stuart, although I'm not sure if I exactly understand what it's for/how it's used;-)
Whenever I need to clamp 2 things I use this:
View attachment 450005
I also use this clamp for seizing and many other tasks. I just wish the articulating components weren’t so cheaply made as they continually slip out of alignment… So, I’m considering @Stuart Little PCB holder hack.

True Olivier.
We use 'magic arms' and clamps in our photo/video studio. Rocksolid, several sizes available,
standard thread size for use with all kinds of accessories, for example clamps to fix it on a work bench.
In 'our' studio world there is a whole eco system of 'grip' tools.
I actually use these instead of the sh*tty 'helping hands' I mentioned above ;-)

Check for SmallRig, Neewer, iFootage etc.

for example:
smallrig magic arm and clamp

I also use this clamp for seizing and many other tasks. I just wish the articulating components weren’t so cheaply made as they continually slip out of alignment… So, I’m considering @Stuart Little PCB holder hack.
That's the reason I made my 'contraption' to replace 'that' clamp, which wouldn't hold thin threads, more useful when holding wire for soldering. I have replaced the screws in it with allen screws & spring-loaded wire clamps.

Cool contraption Stuart, although I'm not sure if I exactly understand what it's for/how it's used;-)
Whenever I need to clamp 2 things I use this:
View attachment 450005
Hi John, I gave up on this one as the 'crocs' won't hold thin thread. The clamp screws are rubbish, I used cap-heads, & suffering carpal tunnel, I have difficulty opening the jaws of croc clamps, hence the construction of my 'contraption, ;) it will clamp small thread having glued fine abrasive to the jaws, and - it cost me 'nowt', added bonus. My 'croc' clamp has been semi-retired to 'ordinary'.

Stuart

Stuart

Hi John, I gave up on this one as the 'crocs' won't hold thin thread. The clamp screws are rubbish, I used cap-heads, & suffering carpal tunnel, I have difficulty opening the jaws of croc clamps, hence the construction of my 'contraption, ;) it will clamp small thread having glued fine abrasive to the jaws, and - it cost me 'nowt', added bonus. My 'croc' clamp has been semi-retired to 'ordinary'.

Stuart

Stuart

oops... English is not my first language..sorry!

contraption
/kənˈtrapʃn/
a machine or device that appears strange or unnecessarily complicated, and often badly made or unsafe.

what I really meant to say was: this beautifully engineered ingenious solution!
:oops:

oops... English is not my first language..sorry!

contraption
/kənˈtrapʃn/
a machine or device that appears strange or unnecessarily complicated, and often badly made or unsafe.

what I really meant to say was: this beautifully engineered ingenious solution!
:oops:
No offence taken, John, I actually appreciated your description! Another phrase I've often used is; 'ASP' = All spare parts, especially in the old days of rebuilding bicycles!

Back