Topmast Tyes

I'm working on attaching the fore topsail yard on the Discovery1789. I have the basic setup figured according to Lees but this part of his description confuses me. Ignore the bit in the middle about the 1840's.

IMG_0359.JPG
IMG_0360.JPG

It sounds maybe like the block on the end of the tye is tethered to a sliding bullseye on one of the backstays. If this is so what might it be for? If not what does it mean?

Are not all these verbal descriptions of rigging as above example and such as in Napean Longridge's Victory model descriptions, pretty useless? Most of the time I cannot understand a thing in them. It would be 1000 times better to see a drawing or a picture of what they mean.

I do not find them useless at all, as Lees does provide a number of drawings in conjunction with most, not all, verbal descriptions. Looking at photos of contemporary models does help at times.

the description is very detailed and well thought out. it seems complicated because we arent familiar with using these terms in our everyday life. we also dont work on ships so being unfamiliar with the materials may play havoc with our interpretation as well. pictures do help with translation.

I am in synch with Allan, Lee's book is in no way a rigging manual, it is rather a research of periods ships rigging, you can use it as the reference and not the manual, IMHO

Hmmm...to me, it's never enough books.
Totally agree. Turns out to be a good investment at times. When NRG sold off its library of books I got a copy of Steel's Elements and Practice of Naval Architecture for $100 (now worth upwards of $800) and The Shipbuilder's Repository for about $75 (now worth about $400)

Totally agree. Turns out to be a good investment at times. When NRG sold off its library of books I got a copy of Steel's Elements and Practice of Naval Architecture for $100 (now worth upwards of $800) and The Shipbuilder's Repository for about $75 (now worth about $400)
Unfortunately, Alan, I didn't treat the books as collectible value in the first place (never did), I mean that those are never enough as a source of information and research. ;)

I didn't treat the books as collectible value

Neither did I when I bought them, just a lucky result :) I am always curious to know what books are favorites for other modelers. I have about 75 in my little library, but only about a dozen of which are well used and worn now. The others are good to have but I find I use them far less often than the varsity squad of books.
Allan

Back