USS Oliver Hazard Perry FFG 7 by Academy with Pontos 1:350

What a great thing to have!!! As I mentioned at the start of my build I'm following the building as described in the book "How to build Academy's USS Oliver Hazard Perry Model" by Glenn Hoover. The book details building both with the Pontos photo etch and without. I strongly suggest building the books as it details exact build process and many "how to" suggestions within its 243 pages. The Academy kit with Pontos is available at Squadron Hobbies if it is of interest.
The book
IMG_1611.jpeg
Sample instruction page
IMG_1612.jpeg

We're reaching the end of this journey. This is the hardest part of a build so much to do without any visible gain. Over the last weeks I've been making small subassemblies that need to be added to complete the model. Today I painted the subassemblies and now waiting for paint to dry. Just a side note about painting small pieces. Using a piece of cardboard shipping box as a support with double sided tape on the surface allows the small parts to be held in place. Another layer of tape and placing the pieces with unpainted side facing up.

Second layer of paint with parts on board
IMG_1620.jpeg
IMG_1621.jpeg
next to mount on deck

We're reaching the end of this journey. This is the hardest part of a build so much to do without any visible gain. Over the last weeks I've been making small subassemblies that need to be added to complete the model. Today I painted the subassemblies and now waiting for paint to dry. Just a side note about painting small pieces. Using a piece of cardboard shipping box as a support with double sided tape on the surface allows the small parts to be held in place. Another layer of tape and placing the pieces with unpainted side facing up.

Second layer of paint with parts on board
View attachment 447615
View attachment 447616
next to mount on deck
A lot of small detail Will. Looking good.

Today I had time to start placing the detail parts mentioned above post. The bridge started to bring the Perry to life but when the masts were added it was wow.
Now I have some grey paint touch up after the glue sets, which will be tomorrow.
A couple of in work photos
IMG_1622.jpegIMG_1623.jpegIMG_1624.jpeg
You notice the brass ladder in to top photo. It is for my wife who loves the photo etch color and doesn't like it when I paint the pe so I'm leaving the ladder for her.

Today I had time to start placing the detail parts mentioned above post. The bridge started to bring the Perry to life but when the masts were added it was wow.
Now I have some grey paint touch up after the glue sets, which will be tomorrow.
View attachment 447781View attachment 447780View attachment 447779
You notice the brass ladder in to top photo. It is for my wife who loves the photo etch color and doesn't like it when I paint the pe so I'm leaving the ladder for her.
The model is looking really good Will. It's great your wife takes such an interest in your hobby that you elected not to paint that ladder. :D

View attachment 447781View attachment 447780View attachment 447779
Obviously she would love the model to look like this
51yGyisOdrL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Back