Soleil Royal 1671 modified Heller kit

Guy I am really glad you have started a log and look forward to watching your interpretation unfold:)

Are the decorative elements in purple 3d printed?

Kind Regards

Nigel
One interesting facet of ship modeling is that an early ship can never be built with full accuracy since we do not have photographs nor detailed paintings and plans from which to build. Hubac's Historian is making a good guess and executing it extremely well. Others have been done that were not as extensive as his. All are based on any given modeler's interpretation and are interesting in their own way. Educated guesses are great but they are still guesses, albeit with a good deal of possible or probable accuracy.

Bill

This may be another Monamy portrait from the Glasgow Museum:

View attachment 341873

Lastly, there is this curious background ship in this circa 1690’s portrait of La Reale:

View attachment 341872

If my eyes don’t deceive me, that ship is painted all blue, so maybe that really was a thing.
That is all I am saying. Paintings can be considered as secondary or tertiary evidence. There are more than a few paintings that show ships in blue. I thought that this makes for a striking model. So too do yours and Guy's models. Basically, all we can do is to make educated guesses. Some evidence points to the existence of blue being used. So, I will paint mine as an interesting choice.

Bill

Oops, I replied on my page:))))So, to repeat, thank you ) I was wondering whether you had any questions relating to the ship's story and the different changes throughout its life... Or if you managed to understand the document since it is in french:) Also, i have an update on that document (new version) with new information about the stern of the 1692 Royal Louis which has been quite elusive....
Yes, please send the document. I can translate if necessary. Merci beau coups!

Guillaume

Hoy mates, wonderful thread and comments by all. I have the Heller model, the only thing I'm adding is the planking on the inside of the gun decks. I have built a few storage rooms on each deck that I will install fiber optic cables to. I will run the cables through the bottom of the ship at her contact points with the cradle. You can bend sharp curves in the optic cables with a heat gun. Her stern lanterns will definitely light up and flicker. I have built a special box the model will sit on concealing the light fixtures and batteries. I found some little lights that are orange in color and flicker like candles.
I would highly recommend fiber optic cables for any lights, no light bulbs. Once this model goes into its glass case, I don't want ANYBODY (that isn't a model maker) to ever touch the model again. The only thing that will need to be done is slide a concealed door to open and set new batteries in place. The fiber optics eliminates the need for bulbs that eventually will die. The flickering candle lights will simulate lanterns throughout the ship. Set some of the cables on a few different lights so everything isn't flickering in the same sequence.
The Soliel Royal in my opinion is the most beautifully decorated ship. The Sovereign of the Seas second the Vasa third. I love the blue and gold. If you look on page 108 of 'The History of Ships' by Peter Kemp, also the rear cover, is a beautiful color artist rendition of the Soliel Royal in blue and gold. Notice the blue sides above her wales. This is the only question I have about this ship, How much of her sides were blue? I'm going to do several French ships in this blue and gold decor. I would highly recommend the construction and rigging detail book from Hismodels.com. Also they offer cloth sails, Studding sails and wooden blocks. I enjoy their products. Thousands of people will see these models every day with the ones I've already built and guess what? THEY DONT CARE about specific details or historical accuracy!!! All they see is a colorful ship with alot of strings!!! That's it! You will be shocked at how many people will walk right by a beautiful model and not even turn their head to look! If your not going to enter model contest and compete against the most talented model makers in the World.... don't worry about the small stuff, who's going to know??? NO ONE. Be happy you have a pretty model with a bunch of strings. (That's what land lubbers call the rigging,)

Hoy mates, wonderful thread and comments by all. I have the Heller model, the only thing I'm adding is the planking on the inside of the gun decks. I have built a few storage rooms on each deck that I will install fiber optic cables to. I will run the cables through the bottom of the ship at her contact points with the cradle. You can bend sharp curves in the optic cables with a heat gun. Her stern lanterns will definitely light up and flicker. I have built a special box the model will sit on concealing the light fixtures and batteries. I found some little lights that are orange in color and flicker like candles.
I would highly recommend fiber optic cables for any lights, no light bulbs. Once this model goes into its glass case, I don't want ANYBODY (that isn't a model maker) to ever touch the model again. The only thing that will need to be done is slide a concealed door to open and set new batteries in place. The fiber optics eliminates the need for bulbs that eventually will die. The flickering candle lights will simulate lanterns throughout the ship. Set some of the cables on a few different lights so everything isn't flickering in the same sequence.
The Soliel Royal in my opinion is the most beautifully decorated ship. The Sovereign of the Seas second the Vasa third. I love the blue and gold. If you look on page 108 of 'The History of Ships' by Peter Kemp, also the rear cover, is a beautiful color artist rendition of the Soliel Royal in blue and gold. Notice the blue sides above her wales. This is the only question I have about this ship, How much of her sides were blue? I'm going to do several French ships in this blue and gold decor. I would highly recommend the construction and rigging detail book from Hismodels.com. Also they offer cloth sails, Studding sails and wooden blocks. I enjoy their products. Thousands of people will see these models every day with the ones I've already built and guess what? THEY DONT CARE about specific details or historical accuracy!!! All they see is a colorful ship with alot of strings!!! That's it! You will be shocked at how many people will walk right by a beautiful model and not even turn their head to look! If your not going to enter model contest and compete against the most talented model makers in the World.... don't worry about the small stuff, who's going to know??? NO ONE. Be happy you have a pretty model with a bunch of strings. (That's what land lubbers call the rigging,)
I was very disappointed to find that the inboard side of bulwarks were bereft of any detail when I first opened the kit in 1976. That was when I began to scratch-build or detail ship kits. My planking did go well after several attempts.

Bill

Back