Sovereign of the Seas by Sergal - 1/78 Scale Kit Build.

Ok, two steps forward one step back.. hahah. Started fiddling with the rudder fitting, stuffed it up and had to start again. It is just rough at the moment, needs cleaning up and repainting before proceeding. Measure twice….comes to mind. Anyway alls well, I have retouched the decorations with a brighter gold paint as some of the original pieces are all sorts of odd discoloured shades. Also cleaning up and retouching the hull to cover the hand marks from handling it while working. Probably finish the rudder hinges and the guns and ports on the stern after that.

IMG_0203.jpeg

IMG_0202.jpeg

IMG_0201.jpeg

Last edited:
Finally some cool wet weather here in West Oz, we haven’t seen this weather for about six months, very welcome indeed. Good for the man cave too.. Back to some deck fittings this week. Pumps, bell housing and capstan. I am bit wary about putting the bow section on as the mounting piece is a bit flimsy even with the reinforcement I added when it was repaired last. I can probably leave till later on as it doesn’t impact any other bow works or rigging…

IMG_0211.jpeg

IMG_0210.jpeg

With so much ship above the waterline, it's a wonder these ships stayed upright at all in heavy weather. The Sovereign purportedly was very slow and slow to answer the helm. Charles the First spared no expense in her construction,.. of taxpayer's money, and literally lost his head over the issue. :rolleyes:
According to my references, the Sovereign was actually a relatively fast and maneuverable sailor. Pett certainly designed and built an exceptional ship, but I am not sure that it was worth regicide! Yet, in the three Anglo-Dutch Wars, the Dutch were very impressed by her. They called her the Gilded Devil . . .

Bill

Well. Still labouring away with the second planking. Pics later. Meanwhile a new dilemma has raised its head. I have been given these two ships from a freinds deceased estate. Very tempted to start one as a side job. Like there's not enough to do already. Also did some work on the display stand and had a name plate made up.

View attachment 418855

View attachment 418872

View attachment 418873

View attachment 418874

View attachment 418875

View attachment 418876
Be careful about both Revell kits. The Kearsarge represents the ship as she appeared after the war. The Alabama needs extensive work to represent the actual ship. There are after-market products that correct most issues, especially for the Alabama.

Bill

Last edited:
According to my references, the Sovereign was actually a relatively fast and maneuverable sailor. Pett certainly designed and built an exceptional ship, but I am not sure that it was worth regicide! Yet, in the three Anglo-Dutch Wars, the Dutch were very impressed by her. They called her the Gilded Devil . . .

Bill
I Accede to better informed and more knowledgeable scholars on the subject than I.

The sea has always had a magnetic attraction. A mixture of curiosity, fear and profound respect. It also puts these large, powerful ships into perspective. No matter how large the ship, the sea will prevail. This is looking out on the Indian ocean from SW Australia.

View attachment 413192

View attachment 413194
I spent my first career (US Navy) at sea and feel every bit about it the way you described. Well said, sir!

Bill

Nice work! The rudder hinges (pintles and gudgeons?) seem to be upside down though.
János
I was wondering when someone would pick pick up on that. Haha. I realised as I took the photo and have now rectified the rather obvious error. A real rookies mistake on my part, not sure how I let that one slip through. The ship was upside down when I was doing it….must be going dislexic.

Back